Saturday 13 April 2013

My lion


My Lion

My little lovely tabby is looking rather sweet
The elegant and tabby tail is curled around her feet
Expressionless she looks at me with bland and secret eyes
Assured the plate of sausages was dinner in disguise

I want to read the paper but my lap is occupied
A tabby cat is dozing so I've put my read aside
And though it's really painful as the claws are sinking in
The sound of cat contentment keeps me tickling her chin

It's as if a dozen devils are fighting on the floor
And a screwed up piece of paper is tossed from paw to paw
It's thrown, bit and fought and then chased across the stairs
Then the tabby runs in panic from a fright that isn't there

My cat lies soft in sunlight and her fur is golden bright
Her eyes are slits of slumber as she turns into the light
She stretches like a lion sprawled who drowses in the heat
And dreams of Serengeti mice are twitching at her feet

My tabby's meditating and her limbs are all tucked in
Her head is nodding forward as she draws herself within
And who knows if she meditates to the fire's gentle hum
Her focus will reward her and a lion she'll become.

4 comments:

  1. A very sweet write - I'm missing my pets as they've moved and I have not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this about evil cat, who passed away less than a month ago. I miss her so much. The last scratch hasn't quite healed. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  2. Loved this poem from the first time I read it - the image of the Serengeti mice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting. She would have gone for elephants if she could. I never dared let her near lorries. She is so missed LM x

    ReplyDelete